Work permit

Work permit (Tewerkstellingsvergunning: TWV)

Students do need a work permit before they are allowed to work in the Netherlands. The following academic activities, among others, count as working:

- lecturing
- doing a student traineeship or work placement
- conducting research
- and pursuing a doctorate or PhD.

The employer must apply to the Central Organisation for Work and Income for student’s work permit.

If a student has a residence permit for study purposes he/she may earn money on the side. Such work must be either seasonal (in June, July and/or August) or comprise no more than ten hours a week. Also, in this case employer must apply for a work permit.